Monday, November 12, 2007

What's on the Table for Tomorrow

Tomorrow I am attending a lighting/exposure seminar put on by Neil van Neikerk. I attended this same seminar back in the Spring (at least I think that's when it was), and got so much out of it I am going to attend it again! Neil has a great web site where he explains much of the magic behind the great photos he takes. He is of the mindset that trying to shoot using available light (i.e. without a flash/strobe) is rarely the best choice; that it is always possible to improve upon the quality of your photo by intelligent use of flash. Given the power/portability/smarts of today's flash units, it only makes sense to make use of them as often as ... well ... as often as it makes sense :)

I highly recommend this course (and web site) to anyone who wants to get consistent and good looking photos.

Another favorite site of mine is Strobist. This is actually a blog that goes into a great degree of detail with examples and such. These two sites are philosophically very close - the only difference I have been able to find is that the Strobist recommends that "off camera" flash be used most if not all the time, whereas Neil is more into "on camera" flash that is bounced. Both have their place, depending on the event and venue.

With that said, perhaps I will report back (with examples) on some of my own experiments that have come out of this class and this blog!

-- BK

No comments: