Saturday, July 22, 2006

Derek for Free?

Hats-off to Derek Webb for launching freederekwebb.com (ok, it isn't going live until Sept. 1st, but who's counting?) People will be able to not only listen to, but download and keep his latest album "Mockingbird". Wish I had known about this before I purchased it! :)

I have grown to appreciate Derek's music, first as a member of Caedmon's Call, and more recently as he launched into a solo career. His most recent album "Mockingbird" tackles a number of very sensitive issues. Here is what Derek says on his site about the album, as well as his motivation for launching this web site:
my most recent record ‘mockingbird’ deals with many sensitive issues including poverty, war, and the basic ethics by which we live and deal with others. but i found that music has been an exceptional means by which to get this potentially difficult conversation going. and this is certainly an important moment for dialogue amongst people who disagree about how to best love and take care of people, to get into the nuances of the issues.
Bravo, Derek. Although I am not sure I completely agree with all your perspectives, I do applaud you for opening the conversation up in such a generous and creative way!

-- BK

No comments: